The Championship was conducted at match play at the Morris County Golf Club,
Morristown, N.J., in October. Twenty-nine entrants competed for eight places
in the qualifying round, and the low scorer was Miss Beatrix Hoyt, 16, of the
Shinnecock Hills Golf Club, with 95. She won her semi-final match by default
from Miss Anna Sands and the Championship by defeating Mrs. Arthur Turnure,
2 and 1. Mrs. Brown did not defend.
Miss Hoyt had not played in the first Championship. Robert Cox, M.P., of Edinburgh,
Scotland, who was visiting this country, donated a permanent trophy, with the
stipulation that the 1896 Championship be played at Morris County, a course
he had helped to lay out in 1894. This is the trophy which is now in competition.